by Wendy Alton
It is true that as divorce lawyers, we see couples divorcing on a daily basis. Because of this, we do often see certain types of behavior that seem to be common as marriages fall apart. However, instead of focusing on red flags, we thought it would be helpful to talk about what things a couple could do to keep their marriage happy and healthy.
Here is what we have been told are the top 5 signs of a healthy marriage:
1. Communication. Couples should not only both speak their feelings, but they should also both genuinely listen. One-sided communication doesn’t work.
2. Laughter. “A merry heart does good like a medicine.” Proverbs 17:22. Laughter can wipe away hurt and miscommunication. Suddenly big issues feel smaller.
3. Appreciation. Couples should speak appreciation each day about something or anything to each other, and also speak appreciation each day about their partner to others.
4. Date Night. Couples should have a date night at least once a week. This is especially important when there are children in the home.
5. Vacation. Couples should take a vacation at least twice a year. Getting away from the routines of life help us to remember how much we enjoy our partner.
Seems simple, right? As with everything, we would assume that it is more about doing it than just knowing it. Is it worth the effort? As divorce attorneys, we can say without a doubt that there are no winners in divorce, and divorce comes at a high emotional and financial cost. If you can save your marriage and make it healthier and happier, then yes, it is most definitely worth it!
If you are interested in learning more about divorce or family law, please call Wendy Alton at 248-380-9976 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.